Sunday, September 7, 2008

Quick Thoughts on adjusting plans for this week

Greetings, this is Kate H-F.
Our class came up with a great definition of social justice and environmental justice. I'll pass it along when I'm back in the room and can transcribe it from the chart paper where Abdul wrote it down. We had our first office hours on Friday, and the agenda for this week's class meeting is already developing to include a drafting of a HW policy we can agree on and also setting up class jobs. We're going to get started on setting up portfolios this week, do the Proud Introductions on Monday along with the journal. After our class meeting on Wednesday (class doesn't meet Tuesdays) I want to do the 4 directions of leadership activity--I found the link and got the materials from the Hollyhock Institute and I encourage others to do the same. http://www.hollyhockleadership.org/resources/fundraising/teamtypes/view?searchterm=four%20directions

Like Noah I'm not going to get started on the Community Leaders Project until Thursday at the earliest. I revisited a UCSC website on Social Justice Leaders and I'm toying with the idea of broadening the scope of the Leaders Project to include a bit more research. http://collegeten.ucsc.edu/activists.shtml I'm also going to work with our school librarian to this end a bit. So that's another reason for pushing it back a few days. I really like the community leader approach, but want to build in some more variety to the research skills included in the project. Also, I realize that my students are going to need some more guiding structure. Thoughts?

No comments: