Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Good meeting today

Thanks for all of the clarification Cat. I think most groups will be able to handle a 5 minute presentation. That gives each participant 1-2 minutes to talk.

I thought our class meeting went well today. We talked about a few quick items like the bathroom pass policy, cell phones, attendance (I updated them on the current total number of absences), and attention for speakers. The kids decided that it was obvious that cell phones should be turned off and put away and suggested that we build it into one of the class jobs that someone remind the class from time to time, especially before important discussions or events.

The kids are really into the whole concept of class jobs from the start, much more so than last year. Now I need to follow through and make sure they all know what to do. I'm glad that we have office hours now to do that.

I asked the students how we should approach choosing the jobs and we decided to go through the list and all interested people raise their hand. There are about 5 or 6 students who did not raise hands so I am going to take the list of unclaimed jobs and let them choose (or most likely I'll ask another student to approach them). I don't think I am going to change jobs monthly, but I will do it quarterly. My mind could be changed on that though. I may ask the students what they think.

I expanded the voter registration job to include mock election coordinator. One of our students is in ASB and has already said that ASB would partner with GL to put the whole thing together.

To answer Cat's other question, icebreakers are going great. I probably will slow down a little now, though. We played the name toss today and we even got a second ball going.

Tomorrow we'll do the 4 directions activity and introduce the CLP a little. The students have mentioned also that they would like to do more with the self-intros, so we may do another round of the fish bowl or partner introductions.

No comments: