Sunday, November 30, 2008

starting water at Global

I'm starting water this week over at GCHS. I'm psyched to use the WaterWars materials, but want to spend the first section establishing the concepts of water scarcity and water stress on a global scope, so I think I'll hold off on WaterWars and Ethiopia until after Winter break. Noah, did you begin the unit with Water Wars stuff, or with the Facing the Future materials (similar to those we used last year?)

Just sent an email to Water1st to arrange a visit in January. We'll be working on water for most of Junuary--might even do 2 AAS visits for this unit. We're going to our partner school once before winter break (Dec. 17 I think) to teach about water scarcity and water stress--may be doing the water carrying and the JayZ clip again like we did last year because it was so successful. My big new idea for this visit is to mandate that no one can go to AAS if they haven't proven that they understand the concepts by DOING THE WORK. It also demonstrates responsibility, to follow through with class work. Anyone who is not ready and prepared will stay behind at school to catch up while the rest of their team goes over to Bow Lake. I have an AmeriCorps teacher who can remain behind with them. The general work ethic in my class is across-the-board low, so this will be another attempt to motivate. We'll see how it goes...
--Kate H-F

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kate,

I started water with FTF (water trivia, demo) and then on to Jay Z and Water Carrying. Then, the Ethiopia lesson from Choices/CLP/Water Wars was a great setup for Water 1st. Let me know who ends up coming.